BROOCHES ARE BRIDGES - workshop con Tasso Mattar a LAO Le Arti Orafe Jewellery School
They hold together, connect, link, merge as well as they control, check and supervise.
We play with the image on different levels: In a technical, and philosophical way.
Bridges are the result of human efforts to relate and connect two topographic locations permanently said Georg Simmel in "Bridge and Door". I would like to include fixed installed draw- or swing bridges and skywalks, balconies and stairs as well.
In addition, ladders are interesting for our considerations even if they are only temporary bridges. Just because of that reason, they come very close to the character of brooches.
Brooches in their original function as fibulas are connecting different parts of textiles and have a temporary character. You can fix and remove them easily. In this case, the connected textiles separate themselves and the brooch gets the character of an independent object.
In the workshop we approach the topic from different directions:
1) Bridges as an idea and creative template for brooches. Everyone brings the idea of his/her favourite bridge. Spontaneous models will be made with the limited material, drawings, sketches.
2) We investigate connections as temporary attachments between different materials or objects. Experiments with the mechanism of fastenings. Examination of relevant connections in everyday objects.
3) Design of a brooch with an integrated fastening as a part of the independent brooch object. We study traditional craftsmen mechanisms and explore extraordinary solutions.
About Tasso Mattar:
Studied sociology at the University of Cologne (1969-75) and jewellery design at the University of Applied Arts at Pforzheim (1975-79). He was well noted for his thematic exhibitions. We remember his bone exhibition " jewellery in a butchers " 1986, which became a legendary jewellery event. This presentation of the "precious" in the "trivial world" is a model of Mattar's special aesthetical approach which includes everyday objects as well as everyday life. His artwork from bone, concrete, soapstone, amber, granite etc. are collected by museums and private collections. He directed workshops in Singapore, Israel, Finland, France, Switzerland, Germany and Luxembourg. He lives and works in Artà/Mallorca, a small village in Spain.
Dates and price
24th of July to 27th of July, 24 hours in total.
600 € (VAT included).
- The candidate must pay 50% of the total amount at the time of enrolment. Enrolment is complete only after proof of first payment is received.
- Registration for two or more courses: please, pay in full the registration fee for the chosen courses (50% of the fee for each course). - The secretariat will make a 5% discount on the second course, and 10% on the third course, when the balance will be paid.
Following Payment (balance of course's fees):
- The balance of 50% must be paid by the first week of the Intensive Courses, and by the first day of lesson for the Workshops, as per the school secretary's instruction.
- Note on discounts for students and alumni. To register you must pay 50% of the whole fees. The discount on the total cost will be made at the time of the payment of the fees' balance.
In order to receive the 50% reimbursement, a registered letter must be received by this office 30 days prior to the beginning of the course. Bank or postal fees are not included in reimbursement. No refunds will be given without 30 day notice.
Cancellation by the school or teacher.
In case of cancellation, the school will immediately refund the amount paid, at no cost for the students.
In the documentation to be sent to the secretariat, please also include your bank details.
Payments may be done on-line (PayPal Sicure System) or by bank transfer as follow:
Banco Popolare (Name of the bank)
Piazza Davanzati, 50123 Firenze (Address of the bank)
IBAN: IT 67 B 05034 02801 000000 136267
For those who need to learn how to use the pipe torch and have basic information on the preparation of gold alloys, the school can organize a day of training and lessons.
Intermediate: if you already have skills, these courses will be useful for your next step towards a more independent practice.
English, German, Spanish.
Maximum 12 people.
Materials and tools:
The school provides (included in fee) all the useful big tool for collective use. School also provide non-precious metal, silver soldering, semi-finished products.
Pure silver and 925 in sheet and wire, are available to the student, but are not included in the participant's fee. At the end of the workshop, the students will reimburse the cost of the used metal to the school.
Students for practical courses and workshops should bring their own tools (tongs, files, bow and blade, sandpaper, welding clamps, all instruments for design, and anything else considered useful).
To have a detailed list of tools needed for the courses you are enrolled, please contact the school office.
In town, there are shops where you can buy tools and metals needed for the course.
The school can provide a toolkit for people who cannot bring their own tools.
A security deposit of 200 Euros will be paid by the arrival and will be refunded at the end of the seminar, after the return of the full kit.
Damaged or broken tools will be reimbursed to the school.